New shooter? Or, are you ready to buy a handgun, but not sure what to buy? Or, are you still thinking about whether or not you want to buy a handgun?
“New Shooter” is designed to teach you the basics of owning and operating a handgun. You will learn the pros and cons of the most popular types of handguns, and you will have an opportunity to fire a couple.
Topics will include the following topics, as a minimum:
- Basic gun safety
- Range Etiquette
- Basic marksmanship
- Dry fire training
- Gun storage
- Recommended follow-up training
[note: Actual course time will depend on average student experience and desired goals.]
COVID-19 Consideration: Groups will be kept small, so we can train while still practicing reasonable social distancing.
What to bring:
Required for each shooter
- Great attitude, willingness to have fun, and eagerness to learn!
- Head gear: Hat, ball cap, or other brimmed head-wear to protect you from the sun and potential flying/floating debris.
- Eye protection: Shooting glasses, prescription glasses, sunglasses, or other suitable tempered protective eyewear.
- Hearing protection: Ear plugs or ear muffs are required. Electronic ear muffs are preferred, for those who have access to them.
- Footwear: Closed-toed, comfortable shoes. We will be standing a lot. Bring something comfortable, with a thick enough sole to protect your feet while walking on spent brass, gravel and/or dirt.
- Ammunition: Ammunition is included in the cost of this class. If you can bring your own ammunition, you will be provided the opportunity to shoot it. However, since this class will be comparing various handguns, and permitting you to fire several, no discount will be available for bringing your own ammunition.
** IMPORTANT: Please note the price on our calendar may differ from this page’s estimated cost. The current ammunition shortage and increased cost per round will necessarily cause the actual cost of this course to vary with market costs as each class is scheduled.
Hint … If you do not already own protective gear, and you do not want to buy everything right away, please let me know. I have a limited supply of loaner gear I can bring for you.
- Equipment: Any additional equipment you may have (speed loaders, extra magazines, holsters, etc.)
- Cool drinking water. We will be working outside. Regardless of the weather, you will need to be drinking to stay safe and healthy.
IMPORANT: Limit or avoid caffeine intake for 12hrs prior to training outdoors to prevent dehydration and heat related injuries.
- Sunscreen or Rain gear: We will have limited cover and you will be exposed to the weather during all exercises.
- Comfortable seating: The range does not have seating in the shooting bays. Folding chairs are HIGHLY encouraged.
- Snacks: You will be burning calories. The range is a LONG way from the nearest convenience store or drive-thru. You will not be able to grab snacks once the class begins.
If you have a gun you want to bring, we will make time to address what you bring, and provide advice and an opportunity to fire that gun. If you choose this option, please be sure to bring ammunition too.