- This event has passed.
NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
August 17, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 2:00 pm PDT
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation. This course is presented in two parts.
- The self-study or “eLearning module” which is completed online in your own timeframe.
- The hands-on practical portion conducted in a classroom and shooting range with an Instructor.
Once you have completed your eLearning, we will take you to the range to solidify all you learned in a safe live-fire environment. You’ll demonstrate firearms safety while training you in basic marksmanship skills.
If you have your own gun, bring it with you. We’ll go over proper operation, minor servicing, and cleaning procedures.
If you don’t have a gun, you will have an opportunity to view and try various types. This could help you decide what suits you, and how best to select one right for you!.
PRE-REQUISITES: Students must have completed the NRA eLearning course prior to class. A brief review of the eLearning, and quiz, will begin the class, to ensure all students fully understand the safety principles, and to answer any questions left by the eLearning materials.
COURSE LENGTH: 4-6 hours, depending on student interest and experience.
START TIME: The class will begin at 8:30am. Please be respectful of your fellow students by being on time.
LOCATION: Directions and address will be emailed to you after you register.
Classroom: Sportsmans Warehouse, Rocklin
Range: Yankee Slough Hunt Club, Lincoln
WHAT TO BRING:
- Eye Protection: All students (unless you wear glasses) must provide their own eye protection. Students with prescription glasses, or sunglasses, may use them for eye protection.
- Range Fees: Range fees are the responsibility of each student. Range fees of $16 per student will be paid upon arrival at the range.
- Gun: If you have your own, bring it. It is best to practice with your own, so we can cover any questions or concerns you may have with firing it.
- Ammunition: We will have a limited supply of ammunition available for the demonstration guns we bring. If you have your own gun, please bring the appropriate ammunition for it. Because California’s new ammunition laws may make it excessively difficult for those who do not already have a pistol of their own, we will charge a nominal fee for 22 caliber ammunition used during the instruction period. This fee varies with market price.
- Hat with bill or brim: There will be brass flung from any number of semi-automatic pistols. A hat will help keep it out of your face.
- Hearing Protection: All students MUST wear hearing protection while we are at the range. We will have a limited selection of hearing protection for those who do not have their own. We will also go over various considerations for purchasing hearing protection for the absolute novice. We want you to be comfortable, but we must protect your hearing.
- Folding chair: We have some, but our seats will be prioritized for shooting. You will probably want a separate folding chair for shade.
- Sunscreen: We will be shooting at an outdoor range with very little overhead cover. There will be a pop-up or two for breaks, but the firing line will be completely uncovered.
- Water & Snacks: We will be outdoors for the majority of this class. There will be time and opportunity for snacking, but hydration is a must.
- A Great Attitude! Come ready to learn and have fun. If you are a bit nervous, shoot me an email before class. Let’s try to work that out, so you can enjoy our training day.