Basic Handgun (Zoom & Live-fire)
Oct 18th @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm PDT
Zoom: Oct 15 / Range: Oct 18Cost: $100Basic Handgun teaches general knowledge and skills for any type of handgun. This course is suitable for anybody thinking about buying their first handgun, or for those who own a handgun and want to develop or improve skills.
We will cover different types of handguns, their actions and their safe usage. Discussions will cover a broad range of topics from Defensive Shooting Fundamentals to Gear and Gadgets!
Finally, we take it all to the range for some hands-on experience. You will have a chance to put your new knowledge to use.
IMPORTANT: This is a two-part class. Please be sure to read details below.
[note: Actual course time may vary depending on average student experience and desired training goals.
Also … If you do not own a handgun, please contact me prior to the class to make arrangements.]
Students are required to cancel at least 3 days in advance of a class date in order to receive a full refund. Classes cancelled less than 3 days before the class may be granted credit toward a future class.
What to Expect
The classroom portion of this class will be conducted via Zoom Meeting. Meeting details will be emailed to students the day before class is scheduled to meet.
Then, on “Range Day”, we will meet at the range for some show & tell and skill building.
Basic skills developed and topics covered at the range will include the following:
- Safe gun handling
- Trigger control
- Basic marksmanship
- Defensive accuracy
- Clearing malfunctions
- Gear & gadget review
What to bring
Required for each student
- Great attitude, willingness to have fun, and eagerness to learn!
- Head gear: Hat, ball cap, or other brimmed head-wear to protect you from the sun and potential flying/floating debris.
- Eye protection: Shooting glasses, prescription glasses, sunglasses, or other suitable tempered protective eyewear.
- Hearing protection: Ear plugs or ear muffs are required. Electronic ear muffs are preferred, for those who have access to them.
- IMPORTANT: Closed-toed, comfortable shoes. We will be standing a lot. Bring something comfortable, with a thick enough sole to protect your feet while walking on expended brass, gravel and/or dirt.
- Ammunition: At least 100 rounds for each gun you plan to fire. (In light of the current shortage … bring what you can. We’ll work with it!)
(If you have issues obtaining ammunition, contact me for options at least 3 days prior to class.)
*** If you do not already own protective gear, and you do not want to buy everything right away, please let me know. I have a limited supply of loaner gear I can bring for you.
- Equipment: Any additional equipment you may have (speed loaders, extra magazines, holsters, etc.)
- Cool drinking water. We will be working outside. Regardless of the weather, you will need to be drinking to stay safe and healthy.
IMPORANT: Limit or avoid caffeine intake for 12hrs prior to training outdoors to prevent dehydration and heat related injuries.
- Sunscreen or Rain gear: We will have limited cover and you will be exposed to the weather during all exercises.
- Comfortable seating: Range seating may be limited, and is rarely comfortable. Folding chairs are HIGHLY encouraged.
- Snacks: You will be burning a lot of calories. The range is a LONG way from the nearest convenience store or drive-thru. You will not be able to grab snacks once the class begins.