The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation and is available for delivery in two ways. One option is the traditional, instructor-led course where you will receive direct instruction from an NRA-certified instructor from beginning to end. The other option has two components: a self-study or “eLearning module” which is completed online in your own timeframe and a hands-on practical portion conducted in a classroom and shooting range with an Instructor.
Phase II (Practical):
Phase I is self-paced, online instruction through the NRA website. Phase II is the actual range portion following the completion of your online training. You will need to register & complete the Phase I portion prior to conducting the Phase II hands-on range portion.
We will begin your day by reviewing the basic concepts you learned in the online portion of this course and move quickly into the practical, hands-on training.
What to bring:
IMPORTANT: This is a shooting class. If you have your own pistol(s), please bring them. If you do NOT have your own, I will provide a limited assortment to be shared amongst participants.
Required for each student
- Great attitude, willingness to have fun, and eagerness to learn!
- Hat, ball cap, or other brimmed head-wear to protect you from the sun and potential flying/floating debris.
- Eye protection: Shooting glasses, prescription glasses, sunglasses, or other suitable tempered protective eyewear.
- Hearing protection: Ear plugs or ear muffs are required. Electronic ear muffs are preferred, for those who have access to them.
- Closed-toed, comfortable shoes. We will be standing a lot. Bring something comfortable, with a thick enough sole to protect your feet while walking on gravel and/or dirt.
- Ammunition for each gun you plan to fire. If you do not have your own gun(s), I will provide limited ammunition for the selection I bring. Additional ammunition will be available for purchase at the clubhouse.
Important: any ammunition purchased at the clubhouse must be shot or left behind. State law prohibits taking left-over ammunition home from this range. So, we will make every effort to SHOOT IT ALL!
Hint … If you do not already own protective gear, and you do not want to buy everything right away, please arrive early enough to rent protective gear from the club house prior to training.
Their supply is limited, so earlier is better.
- Cool drinking water. We will be working outside. Regardless of the weather, you will need to be drinking to stay safe and healthy.
IMPORANT: Limit or avoid caffeine intake for 12hrs prior to training outdoors to prevent dehydration and heat related injuries.
- Sunscreen: We will have limited cover and you will be exposed to considerable sun.
- Comfortable seating: The range has limited seating available. It will be insufficient to seat all of us, and it will not be comfortable. Folding chairs are HIGHLY encouraged.
- Snacks and/or lunch: You will be burning a lot of calories. The range is a LONG way from the nearest convenience store or drive-thru. You will not be able to grab snacks once the class begins. The clubhouse has limited snacks if you forget, but arrive early enough.
- Any training material that was not 100% clear to you, so we can review it with you and clarify anything you did not fully understand.